The Benefits of Irish Wool Sweaters
Wool has long been the gold standard for warmth. From woolen blankets to hats and even socks, wool’s warmth and versatility as a layer against cold damp weather, is unsurpassed by any widely available synthetic fabric. Wool is one of the warmest fabrics and more specifically, wool sweaters, are the warmest layers you can wear when temperatures drop. The wool from merino sheep is some of the softest wools produced today, making the age-old concept that wool is itchy, especially sweaters, a thing of the past. Our Irish wool sweaters are never itchy. They’re made from the softest merino wool and hand-knit using traditional patterns, passed down for generations, which makes for a unique combination of comfort, style, warmth, and durability.
Our Irish merino wool sweaters are designed to keep you warm and comfortable in the coldest weather. Moisture created from movement and a lack of breathable layers, is often the quickest thing to make you cold in the winter. Once you’re chilled, it can take a long time to warm back up. Fortunately, Irish wool will keep you warm no matter the conditions. Wool isn’t just a great insulator; it’s also incredibly absorbent and wicks moisture away from the body to keep you dry and warm. Wool is also naturally odor resistant, so you can wear your Irish merino wool multiple times between washes.
Tips for Choosing Irish Wool Clothing
- Make sure you select the right size and fit for you. If you’re not sure, have a look at our sizing chart. Remember: wool clothing may shrink slightly after washing.
- Take note of each garment’s specific care instructions. Some woolen items are dry-clean only.
- Make sure the items you purchase are made from 100% wool and not an imitation wool or a wool and synthetic blend. Blends aren’t nearly as warm as pure wool.
How to Care for Your Irish Wool Sweater
Properly caring for your Irish merino wool sweaters will keep them looking their best and great at keeping you warm. It’s worth taking a little extra time to always make sure your wool is in top condition and doing so will ensure that they last for years to come. When you take care of your wool, your wool will take care of you. Here are a few tried-and-true tips and tricks you can use for your wool:
- Wash your Irish wool sweaters as infrequently as possible — air out after each wear to reduce the need for frequent washing.
- Spot treat any stains as soon as you can and use a garment brush to remove any unwanted residue.
- Handwash your Irish wool sweaters in cool water and use a gentle wool-safe detergent.
- Avoid wringing out your wet Irish wool sweater, and never put your Irish wool clothing in the dryer — air drying is the best way to protect your sweaters from shrinkage and damage.
- Store your wool clothing flat and away from direct light for best shape and color retention.
- If you experience pilling, use a comb or fabric shaver to gently remove them.
The right layers make all the difference when temperatures drop.
Now that you know how to choose and care for your Irish wool sweaters, it's time to pick the perfect styles for your wardrobe. At The Vermont Country Store, we take care to stock only the best Irish wool sweaters so you can shop with confidence. Browse our collection of fine men’s and women’s Irish wool sweaters today, and be prepared for cold weather like a Vermonter.