Cooking with Wholegrains Cookbook
The 1940s were a time wrought with rationing, substitutions, protein stretching, and making do with less, but in 1947, Mildred Orton published Cooking with Wholegrains, bringing the joy of wholegrain cooking to the mix. Pages are thick with Orton's witty comments on the stretched-out shelf lives of processed flours, all the while arguing for making healthy ingredients at home in the postwar cook's kitchen. She takes the wholegrain approach to French brioche, offers up regional classics such as Southern Johnnycake and Vermont Indian Pudding, and includes a recipe for Cornmeal Gingerbread, bringing even more comfort and joy to the holiday table. Reprinted numerous times, this remains one of America's most well-loved wholegrain cookbooks, still offering warm, welcoming, and wholesome cooking to readers today.
- Written by The Vermont Country Store co-founder, Mildred Ellen Orton, in 1947
- All recipes use only wholegrains—no refined flour
- Full of delicious recipes for baking your own bread, rolls, cakes, scones, crackers, muffins, and dessert using only stone-ground wholegrains
- 72 pages; softcover
1) Standard: Delivery estimates provided during checkout.
2) Standard Plus: Packages are sent via UPS Ground, street address is required (add $5).
3) Express: Packages are sent via UPS 2Day, street address is required (add $15).
4) Overnight: Packages are sent via UPS Overnight, street address is required (add $20).
For Express and Overnight shipping, orders received by 12:00 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday through Thursday, will ship that day; orders placed after noon will not ship until the following business day.
For more shipping rate information, click here for our rate table.
Please click here for The Vermont Country Store 100% Guarantee and Return Policy.